The first Ongaonga District School was opened in 1875, on a site opposite the present hotel, it is still there as the old school museum. The opening roll was 20 pupils. In 1886 a larger 4 classroom school was built on the present site with a roll of 61.
On 21 October 1966 the Chairman of the Hawke’s Bay Education Board opened the present school. The roll at the time was about 100.
Today we are a 6 classroom school with a roll range of 110 – 135. We have Collaborative Learning Environments delivering inclusive, supportive, values based education to meet the needs of our learners.